External risk, many times, is unpredictable and uncontrollable. It can be avoided or stopped. Below are some pointers for those in the retail sector to mitigate the external security risk factors and safeguard life of staff and property.
- Defer from having one member of staff arrive alone to with keys to unlock or lock up the premises.
- Always keep sensitive areas closed off and out of view of the public.
- Regularly change passwords and codes to doors.
- Not all staff members should have rights to access all areas.
- Build a relationship with local security and police which may encourage more frequent patrols.
- Have roller shutters in place, closed and locked when the premises is not open to public.
- Monitor suspicious people and staff and keep track of their movements or actions.
- Prohibit any actions which may reveal information regarding the security of the store to those without privilege to the information.